AUTHOR: Mark and Lisa Scandrette
PUBLISHER: Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2016, (240 pages).
"A thriving family is a place of belonging and becoming, where each person feels safe, cared for and loved, and is supported to develop who they are for the good of the world."
There are reflective questions to help us engage with the issues mentioned. There are guidelines to facilitate family meetings and establish regular intervals for communications. There are also fun activities to set aside space for bonding. The vision of a thriving family is likened to that of a Redwood forest. From here, the Scandrettes give us a blueprint of seven principles behind a thriving family.
- Purposeful: A thriving family lives from a deep sense of purpose and a positive vision of the future that it can articulate and use as a guide for decision making
- Rooted. A thriving family enacts household rhythms and policies that are life giving and that support the family’s shared purpose
- Receptive. A thriving family cultivates awakening to God’s care and the larger story we are all part of by embracing life-giving spiritual practices and making conscious ethical choices
- Connected. A thriving family relates with love and respect and pursues healthy ways to connect, communicate, navigate conflicts and have fun
- Responsive. A thriving family embraces each others’ belovedness, holds their brokenness and supports their growth
- Resourceful. A thriving family lives abundantly, using resources wisely and practicing gratitude, trust, contentment and generosity
- Productive. A thriving family celebrates others’ uniqueness and supports the development of skills and capacities to serve others and pursue the greater good
Mark and Lisa Scandrette are cofounders of ReImagine: A Center for Integral Christian Practice. They live in the Mission District of San Francisco and have three young adult children.
Rating: 4 stars of 5.
This book has been provided courtesy of Inter-Varsity Press and NetGalley without requiring a positive review. All opinions offered above are mine unless otherwise stated or implied.